“Not another freaking social media platform” 😭
⬆️ That was probably you after hearing about the new Threads app released by Instagram last week.
I was going to start this post by asking you if you’ve heard of it, but with 100 million users in just the first 5 days…you probably have.
And here’s probably what happened for you:
- You downloaded and signed up.
- You got super overwhelmed.
- You spent an hour scrolling and wondering what you would even say to your followers?
- You spent another hour wondering if this would even help your business.
- Then you did nothing.
And that’s cool. You don’t have to adopt every new social media platform that comes out. I certainly don’t! With the power of Meta behind it though (love them or hate them), this one will probably stick around for the long haul.
So should you create a strategy? Yes…and no.
The vibe on Threads for now is pretty chill, so I’m going to need you to read the room. Most users are on there right now to have fun and make connections.
You coming in and posting a product photo a few times a day with your shop link and nothing else means people are going to scroll right on by without a second thought.
If you want to experiment with Threads for your business, here’s what I’m currently recommending:
- Have fun
- Be a real person, not a just a brand (check out NYX Cosmetics, American Eagle, and Cinnabon on the app)
- Go off topic to see what happens
- Engage with other accounts (even if they don’t have anything to do with your brand
- Start conversations
And…don’t sell. Not yet.
Be super valuable to the community and have fun for now. Oh! And follow me @sarahjwaggoner! I’d love to meet you!